Certificate III in Security Operations
Apply for an unarmed security officer licence
An unarmed security officer personally guards, patrols or watches another person’s property. They do this without a guard dog or weapon.
- in-house security (someone who guards, patrols or watches their employer’s property)
- a loss prevention officer
- a security gate officer.
You need to hold a current licence to do this job. To become licensed, you must:
- meet the eligibility criteria
- complete your training and attach proof of qualifications
- fill out and lodge the application form.
To be eligible for a licence, you must:
- be 18 years or older
- not pose a risk to public safety
- pass the required training course.
You are not eligible for a licence if you have been convicted of a disqualifying offence in the past 10 years, where a conviction was recorded
You must also tell us if you have been found guilty of a disqualifying offence in the past 5 years, where a conviction was not recorded (this is known as an ‘unrecorded finding of guilt’). We may ask you for further information so we can assess if you are a suitable person to hold a licence.
When you lodge the form, you will need to attach 100 points of formal identification. These documents must be original or certified copies.
Your identification must include 1 of the following 4 documents:
- Birth certificate or extract
- Citizenship certificate
You will need to include at least 1 (sometimes 2) of the following documents:
- A driver’s licence
- An ID card
- A social security card
- An 18+ card
- A letter from your employer
- Any other official letter, card or statement listed on the application form
You will need to pay certain fees when you lodge your application. These include:
- the licence fee (as listed on the application form)
- a criminal history check fee of $38.60
- a fingerprinting fee of $100.
By law, the police need to fingerprint all security providers. We will contact you after you lodge your application form to explain what you need to do.
Criminal history check
To confirm your suitability, we will submit your application for a criminal history check. This will be thorough and may be time consuming.
If you were born in New Zealand or have a New Zealand passport, you need to get a copy of your criminal history or a letter indicating you have no criminal history from New Zealand. For more information, visit the New Zealand Ministry of Justice website.
You don’t have to pay any fees to get a New Zealand criminal history check. We can only accept original documents dated within one month of the date you send them to us. Please note it takes 20 working days to process a request for a New Zealand criminal history check.
The processing time is 4–6 weeks. This can take longer if you have not supplied us with the all the information we need or you have not paid the correct fees.
Depending on your circumstances, you may be entitled to a partial refund if:
- you withdraw your application
- we refuse your application.
You may also get a refund on the fees for:
- your criminal history check.
|Security Gold Coast 4 February 2019 QLD||NERANG|
|Security III Brisbane June 2019 QLD||BRISBANE|
|Security January 2019 QLD||CANNONVALE|
|Security Brisbane 9th February 2019 QLD||NERANG||09/02/2019|